Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday, October 13

 We left by bus from Basel this morning.  Basel is on the corner of Germany, Switzerland, and France.  I had one foot in front of the other and my hand was touching the window of the bus. Does that mean I had a body part in each country?  

We drove through mountain tunnels, industrial areas, government subsidized farms, rolling landscapes, and orchards and 1-1/2 hours later were in Lucerne. 

Some things we learned from our bus and walking tour guides today--

--Every resident of Switzerland must have a fall-out shelter. 

--Fruit does not get exported. It goes into making schnapps. 

--7 presidents in Switzerland from different areas and they all must agree

--Lucerne is the Heart of the alps

--Swiss people are very reserved and think Americans are loud and overly friendly!  We tried to behave ourselves!We see snow capped alps from our beautiful 5 star hotel!  It is amazing!



Hotel


Vern walking up steps instead of taking the elevator!


Night view from hotel. 



13 comments:

  1. These pictures are beautiful, Maria! I can't believe all the walking you guys have done! I feel tired from going on this journey with you....I can't imagine how you feel from actually doing all the steps! You all look like you're getting some good rest though! Stay safe, take care and keep the journey moving forward! Thanks for the ride!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are walking! Can't believe how many steps we get in each day!

      Delete
  2. It looks like it warmed up a bot and you all were shopping! Yay! Did your guide also tell you that every citizen must have and know how to use a gun? And serve in the military? Switzerland has never been attacked because they are all armed.
    Lucerne is beautiful. Is it on Lake Geneva? Good to see Vern is comforablet in his short sleeves and shorts again. Hope the weather is spectacular the rest of your marvelous journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on Lake Lucerne. Other interesting facts about Switzerland! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Lake Geneva is on North side of Alps and shared by France and Switzerland.
      Lake Lucerne is in central Switzerland.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Busy, busy busy! You all will need a vacation after your vacation to recover!!
    I'm going to share some awesome news from home. Libby was crowned homecoming queen this evening at the football game. We have royalty in the family now. I would post a pic but not really sure how to do that!! Have fun your last few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW EXCITING!! Just got your email and was over the top with excitement for Libby and all of you! Happy tears from Gramma!

      Delete
    2. So, so, so excited for Libby! This just brought teRs to my eyes!

      Delete
  4. It sure does look beautiful! I'll need to add this to my bucket list of things to do when I get bigger - LOL
    I tried to post a pic of Lib as well but didn't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure you learn how to yodel before you come home!
    Also have you had the rosti yet?

    Vern looks in great shape😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Yodeling and no rosti!! Coming home anyhow!

    ReplyDelete